Endless Summer: Melt-proof Makeup Tips
It’s finally summer in Nashville! Whether you’re looking forward to meeting friends on the patio for afternoon cocktails, taking the kids to the pool, or dressing up for an outdoor date night, there’s one thing that can ruin all of these summertime activities: messy makeup. Well, that and the cicada invasion, but there’s nothing we can do about that!
You can summerize your makeup and skincare routine in a few simple steps. We consulted Mary Kathryn Yeiser, Corporate Manager of Therapy Systems/The Cosmetic Market/Private Edition, who recommends that you switch to a lighter moisturizer — oil-free if you have oily skin — and foundation for the season. Layering products will help makeup stay put, so make good use of skin and eye primers. Waterproof eye products, lip stains and cream blush layered with powdered blush and bronzer all work together to help your makeup make it through the day — and the irrepressible humidity.
Mary Kathryn takes you step by step on how to achieve this fresh summer look!
1. Start with clean skin and apply oil-free moisturizer and a lightweight eye cream.
We used: Therapy Systems’ oil free moisturizer & super antioxidant eye cream
2. Apply a primer (either with a brush or your fingers — sponges soak up too much valuable product!) on your skin and eyelids.
We used: Smashbox Photo Finish with SPF 15 (this protects against UVA/UVB for maximum sun protection) and the coordinating eye primer
3. Smooth an oil-free foundation over your primed skin with a brush or your fingers. A brush will give you a smoother finish and can be easily cleaned with a spray brush cleaner (shampoo with baby shampoo every week to fight breakout-causing bacteria).
We used: Alison Raffaele Reality Base Foundation, which contains an antioxidant blend that fights free radicals (and aging!)
4. Lightly apply concealer where needed with a small brush — under eyes and over blemishes/discoloration.
We used: Therapy Systems Better Than Cover. This lightweight formula won’t crease, and the chapstick-shaped tube is portable if you need a touch-up.
5. For your eye makeup, layer eye shadows, placing the darker shade near the lid and a highlight shade above.
6. Brush a waterproof gel liner close to the lash line on the lids and below the eye — start halfway at the pupil and smudge a bit on the bottom, softening the line.
7. Connect top and bottom lines at outer corners. 8 Fill in brows where necessary with a corresponding pencil.
We used: Smashbox Eyelights Palette in Beam, Smashbox Waterproof gel liner in Brown, Therapy Systems Pro Liner brush (for top eyeliner) and Pro Detailer Brush (for bottom eyeliner), VANITYMARK Brow Pencil, Cargo Better-Than-Waterproof Mascara in Black
9. Enhance your cheeks with a bronzer, using a big powder brush in a figure eight pattern on your face, concentrating where the sun would hitartecosmetics.com/tarte-item-rise-and-shinet. Layer a cream blush on your cheeks, concentrating on the apple, and layer a powder blush on top to set.
We used: Tarte Mineral Powder Bronzer, Therapy Systems gel blush in Santorini and powder blush in Sunrise
10. Set face with a loose powder to keep makeup in place. Use a colorless powder that will create a perfect canvas.
We used: Smashbox Photo Set Finishing Powder SPF 15
11. Swipe a lip stain on lips and layer a complementary gloss on top for maximum stay-put action.
We used: Tarte Lip Stain and Gloss in Coral.
The end result? A gorgeous, natural summer look that can stand up to the Nashville heat and humidity. To quote our model Bessie, “Oh my gosh! I look like I have my act together!”
Terrah McCann gritted her teeth and watched as the tattoo artist etched a pink ribbon on the inside of her left wrist. Just the day before, Terrah had similarly braced herself when her doctor told her, “I have some news.” It wasn’t good. A mere week before her wedding day, 30-year-old Terrah McCann was preparing for the fight of her life.
To read this and other Her Well-Being stories, click here.